POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Melting an object. : Re: Melting an object. Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:13:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Melting an object.
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 14 Sep 2000 19:35:36
Message: <39c160c8@news.povray.org>
Patrick Joyal <pat### [at] cantel-camscom> wrote:
> I had the same idea of starting with the Object Exploder, so I'm not
> as stupid as I thought, or are we both stupid ?... :)

This was an idea suggested to me quite some time ago, which I always had to
put off as not particularly feasible under POV 3.0/3.1.  Blobs would
certainly seem to be part of the solution, and if your object is constructed
of blobs it shouldn't be too difficult to adjust the components' sizes and
positions to give the appearance of melting.

What does strike me as difficult is melting an arbitrary (probably CSG)
object.  You need to be able to split the object into parts, that will
nevertheless interact in a semi-liquid fashion.  Some of the custom patches
offer possibilities, e.g. isoblobs (although these won't be in 3.5), or a
combination of object patterns and eval_pattern.

Personally, I do still want to try my hand at all the projects listed on my
site (http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/projects.html), once the features
and syntaxes in 3.5 are definite, e.g. Physics Simulation, a script based
Particle System, Pyrotechnic Effects, etc.